Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 065 Xue Jiao


Dear Village Lower School Kids,

How are you? I really want to say in person, “Thank you! Thank you very much!” I have been dependent on my parents since my childhood. I was hardly able to live on my own. I did not understand the meaning of life, the hardships of life, the hard work of my parents and my selfishness and innocence until I attended middle school. At once, I became determined to study hard, but I failed because I was so dependent on my parents that I couldn’t stand on my own feet while studying. I had no idea how to study or where to start.

I became discouraged and even wanted to drop out. But when I thought of my parents’ concern, hard work and sweat, I did not have the heart to drop out. From then on, I made an oath that I should study. I wanted to study and I knew I must study. With this oath, I finished three years of middle school studies. Encouragement from teachers, classmates and friends was helpful, but it was my parents’ love that enabled me to finish middle school.

When I got the grades of the high school entrance exam, I was happy but at the same time I was worried. My father came into my head. His leg had been broken doing hard work to support my education. To treat my father’s leg, we are burdened with debt. If I attended school, wouldn’t the situation be “snow plus frost”? My mother was working odd jobs and only earned 35 RMB ($5.13) per day. It was not enough for family expenses, let alone enough to pay for my tuition and living costs.

Then it occurred to me that I should drop out and earn money for my family. But I was really sad for I hated to abandon my studies. I didn’t want to give up halfway to my goal. I felt sad and helpless.

When I received the scholarship, I was so delighted. I thought “How great it is that good people came to you to give you a hand.” When faced with such great love, I was overcome and can only say “Thank you.” I felt the love from my family as well as the love from you. Suddenly, this great love made me feel so lucky and happy. I have the care and love from parents, teachers, classmates, friends and from you and you are from a different part of the world! I feel that I should give back to those who help me. The payback will be excellent grades. Only good scores can express my thanks to you.

I know that I have both the right and obligation to study hard. Because of that, I will study hard and repay you, my parents and society with excellent grades. Please allow me to assure you that I will study attentively and repay you with good results. Believe me that you didn’t give your love for nothing, your cares are not in vain.

I’ve talked a lot about myself. How are you? How is everything going with you? What about your work? Do you feel all right? Let me share a saying with you, “Wear a smile often and you will always feel young.” I hope you will always be happy. You, us, all, everyone should definitely be happy.

Wish you happiness, health, and hilarity,

Yours,

Xue Jiao