Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 011 - Chen


Dear Zoe,

How are you!

I am happy to be able to write to you. I wish to share some things about my life with you. I spent my summer holiday at my grandmother's home. There are a lot of things I like to do over there. Every day I helped my grandma to pull the weeds in the corn fields. Sometimes, I would carry a bamboo basket to pick ripe peas. The feeling of the heavy bamboo basket always makes me feel very satisfied.

There are many new things happening there. This area is a poor mountain village where access is difficult and therefore there are very few inhabitants. Sometimes, I am able to see strange animals. My grandmother has a very big dog but one day the dog disappeared. When it came back, it held in its mouth a baby hawk which had just cracked open its egg. We saved the baby hawk from the egg shell and I carefully fed it until it grew older. Then I sent it back to the forest. The moment we watched the hawk fly away, both my grandma and I were smiling. Those happy times passed by very quickly and now I am back in school.

Back at school, although our studying is intense, I am also able to do some very happy things. Sometimes we can do something special on the weekends. I like to go with my friends to climb the mountain very near the school. There are lots of pine trees on the mountain and, in autumn, the leaves that have fallen on the ground make it soft and comfortable for us to step on. In the mountain’s open areas, we would pick dry twigs from trees to make a fire and barbecue the local peas while we chat. Sometimes we also collect the autumn leaves to make them into bookmarks for our favorite books.

Thank you for your help.
Yours,

Chen