Tuesday, January 19, 2010

GD 138 ~ Shu Ting

Dear Ginny,

Hello! Thank you very much for sponsoring me and for allowing me to successfully finish my high school education.

During the summer holiday that passed several months ago, I received notification that I would be able to attend this high school. This was something that I had worked extremely hard for over the last few years, trading in hard work and sweat for this result. It was what I’ve dreamt of for a long, long time.

Upon receiving this notification, I felt both excited and worried. I was excited, because all the hard work that I’ve been putting in has paid off. However, I felt worried because I knew that my family was not so wealthy and that there was a possibility that I may not make it into the high school that I’ve always dreamt of attending.

If I was not going to attend school, I wouldn’t have much to choose from. I would head into the world and find an occupation. No matter how difficult the job might be, it wouldn’t matter – my only goal would’ve been to support my family and to relieve the financial burden that my family carries.

But when I received my scholarship, I became very excited, because now I was able to sit in a classroom with people my age and attend class without worrying about the school’s tuition. Personally, I think that scholarships are great motivational factors for students that may not be as fortunate as others, including me.

Another motivational factor that drove my hardworking spirit to study was the fact that I live in not so fortunate conditions. I’ve learned that if poor people don’t work hard in their studies, they will not escape poverty. So during my high school years, I will definitely attempt to study and work hard to the best of my ability. I will try my best to improve the quality of my life in the present, as well as the future.

My goal in high school is to excel on the final exam taken at the end of high school and head on to a good college in China. In the future, I wish to become one of the many people who will support my nation. Once I graduate, I will help my family and others in the society improve their quality of life, leading them out of poverty. At the same time, I will also try and help those who are in need.

I come from an impoverished family that lives in the mountainous regions of Guangdong. Both my parents are farmers and the yearly income that my family earns is from the mandarin oranges that are farmed. Due to the financial limitations of my family, my elder sister was forced to drop out of high school, miss out on university and head into society to help support my family. My twin brothers are both currently attending Grade 2 in primary school.

Because my home is quite far away from the school campus, I only have time to visit home once a month. However, I do call home often. Every time I call home and talk to my parents, I can feel their warm presence near me, guiding me, protecting me at school. From their voices, I know I am the hope for the family. Every time I talk to them, I can feel a rush of tears about to surge out of my eyes, but each time I hold them back, so I don’t get embarrassed in front of my friends.

Most people who know me say I am a hardworking, reliable and good student. During class, I like to be proactive and answer questions that the teacher poses with a bold voice. However, during my 6th grade year, I had allergies that later intensified and made it difficult for me to speak. After this, people around me said I changed a lot, especially in class, where I became less proactive in the conversations started by the teacher.

Currently, I am very happy because your sponsorship has helped me a great deal, allowing me to successfully finish my high school education.
Thank you very much!
Sincerely and with Best Regards,

Shu Ting