Tuesday, January 19, 2010

GD 106 ~ Lin Jian Yu


Dear Matthew and Family,

I’m really happy that I can send this letter to you. Ever since I learned that you began sponsoring me, I have been thanking you – thoughts of my gratitude toward you are always kept in the back of my head.

This year I am a senior in high school and my work load is heavy! However, I feel because of this, I must live each day to the fullest. During the summer, I spent my days going to tutoring classes. Under the hot summer sun, I still felt comfortable and happy because I have my birthday to celebrate over the summer. In this particular year, I turned 18 years old. On the day of my birthday, all my friends came over to sing me Happy Birthday and wished me all the best. On my birthday, I made three wishes and one of them was the wish that I could get into college!

At my village home, my family grows all sorts of different vegetables. Every year at this time, all the crops have grown to be big and lush. When I’m back at home, I usually go out to the river at night to look at the starry sky. Looking at the sky in silence is my way of relieving myself of stress, plus I’m also able to comfort myself and think of many philosophies to help me through life. A philosophy I have found helpful is that, no matter how stressful things may be, they will be done with soon enough.

During the summer, I would go to the river with my little brother to get water for the crops and also play games. Going to the river is always the happiest time in my life, especially when I’m able to water the vegetables everyday- I always look forward to seeing its growth the next day.

My school campus is beautiful, especially the lush mountain that is located behind the school. After school, I often go to the mountain and take deep breaths of the crisp air there. The mountain is magical in that I always somehow forget all my worries and stresses there. When I go to class, I always have to face the same boring homework that is assigned to us, however, truth be told, I do learn a lot from class. A class I really want to take is cooking class – although I am already a decent cook, I would like to improve my cooking skills! Hopefully, I’ll be able to cook a dinner for you and your family in the near future!

Right now, I am studying and working hard because, if I do get into college, it will solve all the financial stress that my family has been burdened with. On Sundays, I like to go play basketball and watch the NBA with my friends. Within the NBA, my favorite player is Yi Jian Lian of the Milwaukee Bucks. Being one of the few Chinese players in the NBA, he makes our country proud! I remember once I got hit in the face with a basketball during a scrimmage. However, because my team won, I didn’t feel the pain one bit!

As I read the newspaper daily, I read that there is an economic crisis in America and that a lot of people are becoming broke because of the loss of jobs! However, I am confident that you and your family will triumph in this time of danger and that your country will prosper once again!

From the bottom of my heart, I would like to wish your family the best!

Thank you once again!

Best Regards

Lin Jian Yu