Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 006 - Weng Jiao


Dear Woodland Street Kids,

I'm extremely happy to be writing to you. My holiday was very enjoyable and fulfilling. During my summer vacation, I took extra lessons for four weeks, so I had two weeks of real vacation.

When I am at home with my grandparents, I usually help out with chores, but sometimes it can be boring. One day, some friends called me and asked me to go to the mountains. I decided to go with them because I have wanted to go to those mountains for a while now. When I arrived, it was a bit chilly but I was mesmerized by the beautiful green grass fields, the blowing wind, clear sky, clean water, sheep and horses. On the grass, we ran wildly and screamed like children. We also went horseback riding and climbed the mountain too. I was so happy. During these few days at the mountain, I forgot all about the pressure and stress from school. Just like that, my break was over and I had to go back to school.

Did you know that my hometown is called the village of apples? I love to eat apples because they're big, red and crispy. This week, the apples will ripen. All of the people in my village will pick the ripe fruit from the trees. I usually help to pick out the best apples. Let me tell you, picking apples gives me ten dollars a day. I help eagerly so I can use the money to do whatever I want.

Life at school is happy, but also busy and a little frustrating. Sometimes in class, I daydream about ridiculous thoughts and then I laugh to myself. I always think, “What if I won the lottery? Then I'd buy a house, a car and go play on the beach.” These thoughts are just too funny! But my real dream is to become a famous doctor. I dream about graduating from college, wearing the gown and taking my graduation photo. That would be a dream come true.

It's almost Christmas now. I hope you will have a wonderful holiday. In fact, over here, we give apples to each other as a way to say that we hope they will be safe during the holidays. I hope you will be safe and happy too!

Weng Jiao