Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 062 ~ Xiu


Dear Kyle,

My name is Xiu. My home is in a small village in the mountains. Since I was little, I’ve lived far from home. Although my family isn’t complete, the love I get is quite complete. My mom loves me a lot and it is her love that gives me power. Thinking of her makes me more self-confident and makes me stronger when I feel down or as I’m facing difficulties. Even though she is not beside me right now, her love will not be blocked by the distance between us. It is her love that gives me energy to move on. When I continue learning and I am trying hard, she is glad.

When I took my high school entrance exam, I was extremely busy and I was very anxious. I felt pressure because my mom wanted me to attend a good high school. I was nervous while I waited for my grades after the test. I was very glad to receive the score report which said, “Pass.” I was so excited to immediately tell my mother the good news. She was extraordinarily joyful too. At the same time, I understood that high school would be the start of a different time in my life. I would need to try to study even harder.

Everything has been busy since I began attending this high school. It takes a lot of energy to deal with the daily routine. I almost can’t pull myself away from the sea of books. Just like many classmates, I put all my energy into studying.

I have experienced a metamorphosis because of this scholarship. I felt responsibility and encouragement as I received it. I knew I shouldn’t waste the money given from you, from the other side of the ocean. I should try harder. I shouldn’t be beaten up by failure! I swore to myself that I would learn well because I know that nothing but knowledge changes fate.

Since we are still growing, we need education to reinforce ourselves. Because we are still naïve, we need knowledge to fill ourselves up. Since we only understand a little about the world, we need to be educated to enhance our knowledge.

I’m a self-confident, optimistic girl. I have self-confidence in my future. I hope to be an engineer and to build the highest and the warmest homes for the homeless, as a shelter to soothe their minds. I also want to be a rich person who earns her own wealth by her hard work. If that’s the case, I could be more powerful. I could have more energy to help those in need. I could use love to help those facing obstacles, just like you have done.

Xiu