Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 055 - Zheng Rui


Dear An-Li,

Hello! I am a girl who comes from the mountainous countryside of Yunnan. My family is not well-off. When I learned that I received your financial help, I was very happy and thankful. My father and mother bear a great economic burden. Because of your financial help, I am able to continue to study in high school. I am now eased in my studies. My father and mother are both farmers. From their birth, they were not able to study in school. They are both illiterate. My older brother and older sister both left our home to find work. I have a little brother who is studying in primary school. Our school fees and living fees are a burden for my father and mother because they are farmers. Our life only comes from what they grow in the ground.

From the time I was small until I became big, I have only wanted to study hard. At the same time, I established a resolute goal – I definitely wanted to test into a good university. Because my home county is exceptionally poor and the education is really limited I hoped that studying could change my destiny. I studied in the city for middle school. When I was there, I experienced the feeling of life in the city and it is a big contrast to my home village. At that time, I decided in my heart to study even harder. When the future comes, I will build up myself and leave my village behind.

When I took the high school entrance exam my excellent score allowed me to enter my county’s number one school. When I knew that I had tested into the number 1 school, I was so excited. I also felt matchless pride. My father and mother were excited about my score and yet at the same time were worried about the tuition because the tuition is very high.

At that time, I was scared. If my father and mother could not bear the responsibility for my tuition then what could I to do? But, as I said, studying is the way out. No matter what, I knew I must continue my studies.

I’ve studied for many years and I’ve never before received any assistance. So, I don’t really understand how I was able to receive your gift. Now, my goal is to test into a good university. My dream is to find work that pays well in order to help my teachers, people who helped me and my home village. I most want to help my home village build itself up to be the most beautiful.

There is a phrase “Education is the only way out, Education is the best way out.” I hope that studying can change my destiny and can make my future successful. I will definitely study hard and won’t disappoint the people who support me. I want to thank you again for helping me. I am eternally grateful. Because of your help I will study hard. I wish you a Merry Christmas and wish that your work will go smoothly.

Zheng Rui