Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 003 - Xinghui (Song)


Dear Addie,

I’m really happy that I am able to send you this letter right before Christmas and I would like to take this opportunity to say Merry Christmas!

You have supported me financially for two years already and again this year and I can’t begin to express my gratitude toward you. Every time I’m feeling down, I always think of how you’re supporting me from the other side of the Pacific Ocean and that compels me to pull myself together, cheer up and continue to study hard.

Addie, you are the person who supports me the most in life. Although we have never met, I will always think of you as an angel - an angel who has stepped out of her everyday life to help a girl from a completely different country. I would like you to know that this girl has stepped onto the road to a beautiful future. You have helped me to seize the opportunity to create a beautiful future for myself.

On campus, I’m known as a jokester. During the leisure time we’re given, I like to play games with my friends. When I’m feeling stressed I like to sing or draw in order to relax. What do you like to do when you’re stressed?

As I have told you, I like to play jokes on others and I have just thought of a funny incident that happened to me. I remember one afternoon I was walking down the stairs with my friends. Because there were so many people on the stairs, I put my hand on the shoulder I saw in front of me and assumed that the shoulder I put my hand on belonged to my friend. However, that person lifted my hand off his shoulder. I thought that was strange but I still reassured myself that the person in front was my friend and I put my hand on his shoulder again. Soon, I heard a voice say, “Hey, could you get your hands off of my shoulder?” It was then when I realized that I had mistaken the stranger in front of me as being my friend. That was such an embarrassing incident. Every time I think back to it, I relive this awkward moment!

For summer vacation, we only had a week or two for holiday. Even though the holiday was short, I was still very happy because during this time I was able to be with my family again. My family has a lot of things to do in. Each morning at the crack of dawn, we must go dig up the yams and harvest the crops. While I do this with my family, I can’t help but feel a sense of happiness and belonging.

Do you like animals? My family owns cows, pigs and a small dog. I think they’re all cute, especially the dog. I’m a lot closer to the dog than the other animals at my house.

I understand that Christmas is nearing and I cannot give you a present except words to wish you the best of luck! I understand that if you want to wish your friend peace you can give them an apple and that is the best present you can give them! So here’s an apple that I drew for you!

Merry Christmas!

Best Regards,
Xinghui (Song)