Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 022 - Huamei

Dear Carolyn,

I am very happy to be writing to you. To begin with, I want to thank you for all the support and help you've given me by allowing me to finish my studies in school. Now, I'm in my third year of high school, so there is a lot of pressure to do well. Every day I must wake up at 6 to do morning exercises but I know that high school is supposed to be hard. I'm not afraid though, because I believe that with determination, I will succeed.

My home is quite far from school, so it takes about two hours to get home. Because of the work load, I am only able to go home once every three weeks. Whenever I go home, I first take off my school bag and have a good dinner with my family. Afterwards, I will wash my mother, father and grandmother's clothes. After dinner, I start to work. That's the schedule every time I go home. Anyway, let's not talk about school anymore!

My hometown is beautiful, because there's a lush forest and some very famous apples. The apples don’t have a nice appearance, but the taste is amazing. My school is also beautiful and this peaceful serene environment helps me to study. Even when I'm away from home, I do not feel alone at school.

I'll tell you about my school’s summer break. During that time, I was very happy because I had four weeks of vacation. When I am home, I help my father with his work on the farm. I also help my mom sell some food and from this, I am able to earn some money. Besides taking advantage of the time to rest, I spent a lot of time chatting with my grandmother. She's aged quite a bit and she's always ill. I think I will buy her some medicine in the city soon. These types of holidays are very exciting and fulfilling to me.

My father's eyesight is terrible and at times he will do things that are not to the best of his ability. This angers my mother and so she will scold and blame him. When this happens, I try to calm them. After all, my father's eyesight is not perfect. When I do this, I am able to bring the family together and live in harmony. I work hard for good grades and do my best to help out at home too. I'm thankful that my parents love me. While studying at such a faraway school, I still have dreams and goals. I am working hard towards my goal and one day I hope to succeed. I'll end here now, talk to you soon!

Huamei