Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 070 Kai'e


Dear Cole and Lexie,

Love is a ray of winter sunshine which makes people suffering from hunger and cold, feel human warmth. Love is a spring in the desert which gives people in despair spiritual consolation. Love is rain falling on a field after a long drought which makes people in sadness receive care. I am really grateful for your love which helps me see hope.

I am from a small village in a remote area. The poverty there helped me make up my mind to study hard so that I could change the future of my family and myself. When I see my father working alone in the field, my heart is indescribably full. To support my family, my father always works hard and now he is getting more and more stooped. I once thought of giving up studies so that I could help my father as I could not bear to see him being so tired. But I think that for poor people like me, going to school is the only way to change our fortune and only through hard study can I repay my parents. Though our schoolwork is hard, I will never give up because I want to repay my parents, my family and all who give me love and care.

As I continued my pursuit of study, I finally got the high school admission notice. I was ambivalent when I first got the admission notice. On one hand, I was excited because I was rewarded for my effort. It gave me the chance to improve myself and it gave me hope for the future. On the other hand, I was confused because my family is poor and the tuition for high school is very high.

With the image of my father working so hard, I hesitated over whether to give them the admission notice or not. I hesitated about whether I should burden them with the thought of this high tuition. But at the same time, I was afraid of being unable to go to school like my other schoolmates. I feared that my thirst for knowledge would be withered.

Fortunately, there is love in the world and I received your help. It’s you who gave me warmth and courage during my troubled time. I was so excited when my teacher gave me the good news. I felt I am very lucky, lucky to live in this time and to get this great help from you. Both my family and I were deeply moved by and very grateful for your love. Thanks to you who are kindhearted.

“Every road leads to Rome”, but studying hard is the only road to change the future for a child like me from a poor family. There are many children like us and even many more are unable to go to school. We all are thirsty to go to school as education can change our future. I will learn as much as possible to equip myself so that I can help people in need in the future. I will do so wherever I am and no matter how rich or poor I am in future. I’ll learn to be a kind person like you. I’ve set goals for myself to study hard, to cherish my time here and to be an upright and a good-hearted person.

My parents went out of their way to support my education. I will repay them by treating them well. Several of my mother’s teeth have dropped out, so she it is hard for her to eat and we have not yet had enough money to treat it. In the future, when I get a salary from my job, the first thing I will do is to have my mother’s teeth treated. I am from a small village. The village road is very bad, bumpy and rough. In the future, I hope I can mend this road well. There are other people who are kind-hearted like you. I will pass on your love. I will never forget that a good person warmed my heart with their full love when I was in difficulty.

With the scholarship, my parents no longer need to worry about raising money for my living expenses every month and, knowing that, I can focus my mind on studying hard. My family and I all thank you very much.

Bon voyage for good person like you
Rejoice in health and success in work

Kai’e