Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 040 - Yan Hong


Dear Gould Academy Students:

Hello! How are you doing? Since I learned that you sponsored me this year, I have been thinking about you a lot from far away. Time has passed so quickly, another semester is about to end and it seems like it just started. Although the road is not easy and indeed it can be very rough, still, I will never give up on my education.

The cool wind of winter has started. Every time when summer starts, the whole village seems so alive and even more wonderful. I love summer and I also love my village, where we have so many special times. In the summer each year, we celebrate a special festival, the Dragon Boat Festival (端午节). It is as big as our Spring Festival (春节) celebration. During the festivals, the village is so crowded and lively. The traditional customs are interesting. The people worship God and direct their hearts to rely on God that their next year will have good luck. The people around town say, “The bigger the celebration this year, the better harvest we’ll get next year.”

Every time I need to go to school, I walk along the roads between the fields for about two hours. I live in the dormitory at the school but I am able to return home every weekend. When I am at home I help out by doing chores or farming in our field. I love my parents. I think they are the greatest people. Their love for their child cannot be described with words.

I also enjoy my life at school. I like to participate in activities such as playing badminton, ping-pong, jumping rope, etc. When I feel down, I always chat with my friends. That is how I relax the most. I love History the best. It gives me pride to learn about the old great Chinese culture. But, the teacher I like the best is my Politics teacher. He is funny, kind, and also optimistic. Finally, I really want a good ending for this semester as a gift for my parents.

In order to achieve my dream of going to college, I will work harder. Although I have very little material things, I will keep on moving forward and will never give up. My life is a lot better now and this gives me confidence.

“You must scatter the seed to reap the harvest.” Therefore, I’ll work harder to get a wonderful life. Last, I wish you all good health and that everything goes as you have planned.

Yan Hong