Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 063 Meng Juan


Dear Root Family,

How are you? I am Meng Juan and I am in the first year of high school. Thanks a lot for the help you have given me. Your help inspires me immensely. It gives me confidence to finish high school and makes my life full of hope. Love is throughout the world and my heart feels warm.

Both my mother and father are disabled. Besides, my mother suffers from serious illness and has to rely on medicine every day. Only my grandmother and grandfather are able to look after and take care of me. My elder sister is in high school as well, so the burden of tuition was too heavy for them to breathe. At first, my grandparents planned to let my elder sister drop out and go to work to support me. But then I got the scholarship. So now, my sister can stay in school, too!

When I was in middle school, my Chinese teacher talked deeply with me. She got to know about my family and encouraged me to study relaxed, rather than with a heavy load in my heart. It is she who encouraged me for the first time and motivated me to go on working hard and made me full of confidence. So, in the future, I will study harder and harder to show myself that I can do it.

Hearing that I was accepted into this high school, I felt joy and sorrow mixed. But sorrow was bigger, for my family’s pressure was obviously heavier. That is to say, my grandparents had to support my sister and me, so the burden became double. As a result, the possibility for me to continue studying was uncertain.

After I was informed that I had got scholarship, I was wild with joy. It was a kind of inspiration stimulating me to study harder than before. With a family like mine, only knowledge can change our fate. Nothing but perseverance can make success. I am a dreamer and I have so many dreams. I dream of traveling abroad, but I don’t know if that can be realized or not. I understand the way to make it come true is making every effort.

I wish you all the best.
Thank you very much!
Yours Sincerely,

Meng Juan

Age Fifteen
Annual family income 3000 RMB = $439
Favorite class English, Chinese, biology, PE, chemistry
Favorite sport Running, long-jump, playing basketball
Free time activities Painting, listening to music
Summer holiday activities Helped with harvesting corn, picked mushrooms
Future goals To enter Yunnan Normal University and go to study and travel abroad