Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 021 - Shuanglan Liu


Dear XXX Family,

I am very happy to write this letter and share my life’s happiness with you. My summer holiday was greatly anticipated. The sunshine was wonderful and the light summer breeze always made it very comfortable. Every morning, the birds and the cicadas woke me up and I fixed breakfast for my family. After we finished eating, we would begin our work so we could have a great harvest in the fall.

My family always works together. For all we give, we get something back. After helping my parents with their work, I like to go to the forest to read books and listen to the birds chirp. In the forest, there is a floor full of flowers and butterflies everywhere. I also pick some wild fruits to eat. Sweet and sour; this is the taste of life and this life makes me feel so content. During my holidays, I always go to the forest. I take off my shoes and soak my feet in the water.

Before I know it, my holiday is done. I pack my things and go back to school. At school, I love the cherry blossoms, particularly in the spring when they are full in bloom. I like the fall even more. Even though it is cold and there is a slight air of sadness, I like this feeling. The trees are full of crisp brown leaves and when the wind blows, the leaves scatter. This is the weather in Yunnan. One day it can be sunny and bright, the next day it can be cloudy with light showers. This affects our mood as well. Perhaps this is because I am sentimental.

In this cold winter, it is even harder to study. However, in order for us to get into the college we want, we are all working very hard so we can finish our studies with no regrets. We will bring with us all the beautiful memories from our high school life when we leave. Of course, there is also you to whom I am extremely grateful. I do not know if I may continue to write you after I graduate?

Your country is definitely entering the snowy season and the extravagant decoration on the Christmas trees must be very splendorous. I really hope to see that kind of beauty someday. You have your Christmas trees and I have the old pine trees of my hometown. As you decorate your tree with beautiful lights, I see the powdery snow on the pine trees. As you have Santa Claus, I have the great mountains. Although the mountains bring no gifts, they are themselves a wonderful gift in providing such marvelous scenery.

Finally, I wish you a merry Christmas, a happy family and success with work!

Shuanglan Liu