Tuesday, January 19, 2010

GD 130 ~ Jie Xia


Dear Jenni,

I would like to thank you for your donation. With your help, I have a chance to complete my high school education.

When I received your scholarship, I was so happy and excited. If I lost the chance of studying in high school, I would lose my life goals. I would be like a fish living without water. I would feel depressed and wouldn’t know where to go.

My dream is to go to the best university and become a great teacher who teaches foreign languages. Then, I would feel that I have become the person I knew I could become. I could be proud of myself in society and contribute to my country. I know I can change my future by studying hard. I believe I can change my fate and have a bright future, as long as I study and work hard.

Now, I study every day and learn my lessons by heart. My dream has motivated me to study so hard, but also because my family is very poor. We have had many bad harvests. The four sisters in our family are all students and the tuition is a huge burden to us because we have no ability to pay our debt.

During summer vacation, when I received the high school admission notice, my parents couldn’t sleep because of the tuition. In order to help the family, I went to another city to work, alone. It was my first time to leave my home and go so far away. I was afraid of getting car sick. So I didn’t go home until one month later. The work was tough. I got cramps in my legs because I was too tired. My salary there was very low.

I thought of giving up my education at that time, but I knew only education could change my fate. Therefore, I swore that I would not give up. No matter how hard it is, I will finish my education, go to university and achieve my dreams.

When school began, I had another barrier in front of me, which was illness. I felt weaker and weaker every day. But I still stepped up to the fifth floor to my classroom everyday and read the books. One day, I fainted. The doctor tried to persuade me not to study so hard. He was worried about my health. But I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with my classmates. What if I couldn’t go to university!

My parents asked me not to insist on studying if my body couldn’t stand it but I have to study. Only by studying, can I realize my dreams. Only education can help me to change my current situation. Now, I will try to do exercises and become a strong person while studying.

I was born on Dec 25, 1992. I like singing. I hope to share the joys of the world by singing. I hope my singing can take people’s sadness away. I would like to thank you again! Your donation is very important to me. It means my future, my life! I won’t let you down. I will study hard and fight for my dreams. I will go to the best university and make a beautiful life. Then, I will contribute to my country and society.

Yours,

Jie Xia