Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YN 047 - Yong Chun


Dear XXX Family,

First of all, I want to thank you very much for your support and help. Your assistance helps reduce my family’s burden.

When I was in junior high school (junior 1 and junior 2), my scores weren’t good. When I reached junior 3, I realized that if I didn’t study hard my life would be spoiled. Then all I would be able to do is live like my parents and become a farmer. Therefore, I decided to strive in my studies. That is why I went to the school that is far from my home. I studied hard in order to be admitted into this high school. After I finish university, I hope to find a job with a stable income so I can let my parents have an easy and relaxed life.

When I was admitted into high school, I was so excited. I knew that I did not disappoint my parents and teachers. Before I studied in high school, I looked forward to high school life. However, when I really began to study here, I discovered that high school is very different from junior high school. High school has more subjects and I didn’t know anyone here. It was hard to understand what the teachers said in class. It made me feel disoriented and I didn’t know what to do or how to do it. I think that was the main reason why I didn’t have a good grade on my first test. However, it is better now. I have become accustomed to the new environment here and my relationships with my classmates are better now, too! This has given me more confidence to catch up.

I never thought about what would happen if I couldn’t go to school. My parents always told me that if I was accepted to this school, then I could go no matter how much money they would need to earn. They said that they would work hard to enable me to study. What they told me really encouraged me. If I faced a difficult situation, I still completed my schoolwork. But when I received the tuition notice, I knew that the financial burden would be too hard on my parents.

I had no idea that I could receive a scholarship. I had never heard about it before. My teacher told us that there is an organization that helps people who need help in Yunnan and other areas. When I heard that, I knew that the love in this world never stopped. Some things are hard to put into words. This financial help has made a big effect on my future. I know that in the world, there are still many poor people who need to help. After I grow up, I hope that I can do what you are doing – passing on the love and selflessly helping others.

For me, poverty means nothing. True wealth is in the heart. Because of my poverty I know how to cherish the right things and I know that money has no power. There are some things that can’t be bought. There are many famous people who have poor childhoods, aren’t there?

My dream is to become a doctor. Being a doctor would not only help people, but it would also help me take care of my family. But, my dream may change in the future. Even if it changes, I will still work hard. I hope that after I graduate, I will have the ability to help my hometown and make it better. I can help it look more beautiful and I can allow my family to have a happy life!

Finally, I wish you happiness and joy every day,

Yong Chun